Brighton birds info

Due to the number of e-mails, I'll just answer using this forum.
Brighton is the town/ski resort at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon in
Salt Lake County.  Silver Lake is accessed by the boardwalk from the USFS
visitor center at the large parking lot off the loop road (the only
road).  The trail to Lake Solitude, etc. is accessed from this boardwalk.
The first pair of Williamson's Sapsuckers was seen about halfway up the
trail from Lake Solitude to Twin Lakes.  The second pair was on the west
side of Twin Lakes, about 100 yards down the trail from the saddle
overlooking Twin Lakes (the junction with trail from Lake Solitude).
Both pairs were very active and visible, going to and from the nest
holes.
The Three-toed Woodpecker was halfway along the trial from Silver Lake to
Lake Solitude, flying from one dead tree to another.
The large mixed flock was moving through the trees just below the Twin
Lakes saddle, but these species were seen and heard throughout the area,
as were the Pine Grosbeaks.
The Northern Goshawks are not using last years nest, but are in the same
general area.  I won't give more specific directions, due to negative
e-mail I received last year for describing the nest area of this
sensitive species, which I mostly agree with.  They're fairly noisy, so
knowing the call should head you in the right direction.

Joel Beyer