Hawk Attack!

Hi,

I was seriously buzz bombed by a Northern Goshawk this morning. The event occurred around 7:30 this morning in Brighton. As I rounded the corner in search of the Winter Wren reported by the Byers, I heard a loud. continual qwek qwek qwek call and noticed a very large bird coming straight at my head! After I instinctively ducked, he/she swooped to a neighboring tree branch and continued to make a lot or racket, giving me dirty looks all the time. I fumbled for my camera and attempted to take photos of the angry bird. Alas, the early dawn light was insufficient for any decent telephoto shots. I decided to politely vacate the area, obviously having gotten too close to the nest (which I never saw), but, as soon as I took a couple of steps, down swooped the bird, heading straight for my head! This time I really ducked, getting as low as I could, as he once again swooped over me. Again, I attempted some photos in insufficient light. As soon as I took another step, he/she was upon me again. We went through this ritual a final 4th time before he/she would allow me to leave the vicinity of the nest.

Some of you may have experienced this, but it was a first for me with a bird of that size. The whole serious of incidents took only 4 minutes, according to the times recorded on my camera. I knew I was an unwelcome visitor, and I was genuinely fearful.

I never found the Winter Wren, though I did find a House Wren nearby. I also missed out on the other great birds I was looking for: Red & White-winged Crossbills, Pine Grosbeaks, Three-toed Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatches, etc. However, I did find one of the Williamson's Sapsucker nests and got some nice photos. I also got to see a Yellow-rumped Warbler baby on his first attempts at flying - very cute. He fell out of the nest and fluttered to the ground. He then flipped and flopped on the road and in the bushes. He occasionally managed to get a few feet off the ground to cling tenuously to a low branch. I took some nice pictures, though moderately blurry (he wouldn't hold still!). I'm sure he'll be fine with a little more practice.

All in all, I spent 6 hours birding the Brighton area, doing the Silver Lake, Lake Solitude, Twin Lakes, Lake Mary loop suggested by the Byers, and came up with 31 species. There's a resident Mink up there that's fun to see. Unfortunately, I missed out on the previously mentioned birds, but may try again at the Brighton bird count. It was well worth the effort, however, getting to see the Goshawk and the Sapsuckers. The weather was beautiful.

Two things really bugged me. As I approached Lake Solitude, 4 ORV's and a dirt bike roared up the dirt road to break the silence and ambience. They all parked next to the lake and dismounted their machines. I didn't know they allowed those vehicles up there. The riders all appeared to be young, around the age of 20. Perhaps, they are employees of Solitude, but I don't know what work they would be doing at the lake. It sure ruined the mood. The second thing was the sad walk down the permanent detour dirt road/trail from Lake Mary. I remember seeing Crossbills along that little stream on the old trail. As most of you probably already know from the papers, they've closed the lower part of the Lake Mary trail, which has become a trampled superhighway from overuse. It has never been a particularly pleasant trail because of all the people traffic, but the dirt maintenance road that zigzags back and forth across the ski runs is a poor excuse for an alpine trail.

If anyone wants to see pictures of the Goshawk or Sapsuckers, or directions on where to see these creatures, e-mail me and I'll send them to you.

Jim Bailey