Re: Photos of Harris's Hawk in Draper

I responded earlier to Trish that a Harris's Hawk would be extremely unusual here in northern Utah, but that bird certainly is one.  I don't know of another western hawk that has that coloration, including the dark rusty leggings, not the auburn rust of a Ferruginous, plus the feathers on the Ferruginous cover clear down to the toes, which doesn't occur on this bird.

My question is - what is the gadget on the front talons of this bird?  It looks like some sort of a metal clamp or jess.  Could this be an escaped captive bird that someone has had?  And the fact that it seems to be familiar with a wading pool.  Because the Harris's Hawk is a Lower Sonoran bird, it would be so unusual to have a wild one come all this way north and so much higher in altitude all on its own.

The next question is - is the bird still in the neighborhood or has it disappeared, possibly flown back to its pen?  I was down in the area Monday where Trish mentioned that it had occurred on, but didn't see it.

Good photos, Trish.

--Steve Carr