Peacocks on my roof

Hello friends,

I live on Capitol Hill, just about a block west of the statehouse. I was
surprised tonight to see a police car, Animal Control truck, and a
small group of neighbors assembled outside my house. When I walked out,
I discovered that two peacocks, male and female, had landed on top of
my roof. Some of the people gathered out front had been following them
for most of an hour, trying to keep them out of harm's way as they
crossed Victory Road and other busy streets.

We feel sort of blessed that they chose our house to land on and take
refuge, and we want to care for them as best we can while they're
here.

Animal Control won't deal with them, but the policeman told me that
Tracy Aviary would come get them in the morning. My problem is to keep
them around and keep them safe until morning. The roof is steep and
high, so no one will be getting to them up there. They seem fairly
settled, as though they're not in a hurry to go anywhere. They've been
there about an hour and a half so far.

What do peacocks eat? Should I put food out? Is there anything else I
should do?

Thanks very much,

Kelli