Woodruff Birds

Had to make an emergency stop home for a couple days, so I figure I might post
the few interesting birds I saw in Utah.

As Colby mentioned on my behlaf I located 3 McCown's Longspur's at Woodruff
NArrows Resivoir.  Doug Faulkner of RMBO relayed to me that this may be the
first county record for Uintah County in Wyoming.

On the note of Lark Buntings, they were everywhere from Woodruff, to Cokeville,
WY.  Talking to the Biologist at Seedskadee NWR, she told me that Sue Patalla
who is the nongame biologist from Jackson Hole, said this year has had a huge
eruption of prairie birds westward, the Lark Buntings being the most noteable.
I also saw McCown's Longspurs at Seedskadee, which is a pretty good summer bird
there.

Other birds seen along South State Street heading out of Woodruff were:

Say's Phoebe
Franklin's Gull
Northern Shoveler, Northern Pinatil, American Wigeon, Gadwall, all 3 Teal
2 Common Nighthawk
Turkey Vulture
Lark Sparrow, Vesper Sparrow and Sage Sparrow
YH, RW and Brewer's Blackbird
Horned Lark, Meadowlark, etc etc etc.

I think that this part of Utah, as well as the plains and moutains on the north
side of the Uintah's (within the Utah Border) are both valuable and under
searched and may be worth the hour drive to see some birds taht don't quite
make it around the mountains.

Good Birding.

Tim

Tim Avery