Migrant trap bonanza

Lest you think that the spring migration and the chance for any rarities is over, consider what we found on a private tour of Deseret Ranch today. At the "Big House"," a nice migrant trap in Rich County, we had Red-eyed Vireo, Least Flycatcher (both new for the ranch), Yellow-billed Cuckoo and American Redstart, along with many of the more usual birds. Altogether, even though the bad weather limited access to only a small portion of the ranch, we finished with 111 species - not bad for a cold, wet, windy, "post-migration" day.

June may not produce the great numbers of migrants which can be seen earlier in the Spring, but it's a great month for finding a few strays.

Good birding!

Mark Stackhouse
westwings@sisna.com
801-487-9453