RE: Winter Wrens

Over Memorial Day weekend, I saw a lone Winter Wren up Blacksmith Fork canyon, east of Hyrum, UT in Cache Valley. It was located up along the brush and rocky crags, halfway up a gully on the south side of the canyon, just past Left hand fork road.

Stephen Peterson
Logan, UT

From: "Eric Huish" <poorwill_@hotmail.com>
To: birdtalk@utahbirds.org
Subject: [BirdTalk] Winter Wrens
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:45:45 -0600
A couple months ago (4/7/04) I found what looked to be a BREEDING PAIR of WINTER WRENS in Battle Creek Canyon above Pleasant Grove.  There were two wrens.  They kept hoping up into an undercut in the bank of the stream.  One (I assume the female) was following the other around with her wings half out fluttering and her tail sticking strait up and waging back and forth.  I went back up a couple day latter (4/9/04) and they were still there.  I saw one collecting nesting materials (long dead grasses) and taking them up into the hole in the bank.
I saw and heard one singing a little upstream from the first sightings on May 21st but hadn't been up there since until yesterday (I could not find one).
If I remember right it seems there have been a few reports of singing Winter Wrens in the summertime over the last few years.  Merrill has seen them up American Fork Canyon (Utah County), Kevin Colver saw one up Maple Canyon (Sanpete County), and I believe one was reported last year at Navajo Lake (Garfield County).  Perhaps Winter Wrens are expanding their range in Utah.
Has anyone else seen any "Summer" Winter Wrens in the past few years?
Eric Huish
Pleasant Grove UT
poorwill_@hotmail.com
801-360-8777