Summer Tanager & Blue Grosbeak at Tonaquint Park

My wife Judy and I spotted a male Summer Tanager and male Blue Grosbeak at Tonaquint Park in St. George on Saturday around noon. I even got photographs of them, though not very good - just enough to ID the birds. A Black Phoebe was also present on the pond at Tonaquint.

We also thought we saw a Cassin's Kingbird near the pond at the south end of Washington Fields, but didn't get a good enough look to count.

One of our favorite birding spots, the Arboretum at Santa Clara, apparently had a recent fire. Very sad. This used to be a great spot to see Crissal Thrashers. The Bewick's Wrens are still around.

For fun, we stopped at the Newcastle Reservoir to look for the Brown Pelican. No luck, just boaters and fishermen. Also, the Band-tailed Pigeons are present at their usual haunt, the IFA in Cedar City.

We were surprised by the paucity of buteos and eagles on this particular trip. Admittedly, we haven't been birding seriously for a number of years until just recently, but trips along the back roads near Milford and Delta in past years used to turn up a dozen or more of these birds perched on the power poles. We only saw 1 Swainson's and 1 Red-tailed - no eagles of any kind.

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Salt Lake City, UT
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold