Red-eyed Vireo (yes!), Antelope Island Birds

Tim Avery and I went to the Riverdale Parkway in search of the previously reported Red-eyed Vireo. The bird was a no show for about 15 minutes. Eventually, the bird sang occasional bits of its song, and we were able to track it down as it was foraging in some Russian Olive and Box Elder trees near the bridge. We then lost the bird, but were able to refind it after it started to sing vigorously at the top of a cottonwood just upriver from the bridge. For those not familiar with the song, LEARN IT! This bird would be VERY difficult to find without knowing the song! Other parkway bird news was a pair of Wood Ducks in a yard adjacent to the parkway near the 4080 S entrance.

We also stopped by Antelope Island. Except for California Gulls, the causeway was largely void of birds. On the other hand, Garr Ranch was quite active with the following migrants...

Broad-tailed Hummingbird - 1 female
Western Wood-Pewee - 6
Dusky Flycatcher - 1
Cordilleran Flycatcher - 2
Western Kingbird - 2
Warbling Vireo - 5
Hermit Thrush - 1 - seems late?!
GRAY CATBIRD - 1 - skulking in the brush by the creek
Orange-crowned Warbler - 1
Yellow-rumped Warbler ~ 18
MacGillivray's Warbler - 1 male
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Wilson's Warbler - 9 -
Western Tanager - 14 - seemed to be everywhere
Black-headed Grosbeak - 3
Green-tailed Towhee - 2

We also stopped by the end of Glover Lane where the typical nesting ducks, 5 Snowy Egrets, 1 Willet and a Clark's Grebe about summed it up.

Now to a couple of questions...

Does anyone know of any bird banding projects in Utah or someone I can contact that is banding in Utah this summer? I would love to volunteer and help out.

Also, does anyone know who the Utah editor is for ebirds?

Oh yeah Carol, not all, but a lot of empids CAN be identified by sight only...although hearing them helps!!!!

Colby