hawk, quail, goldfinch, kingbird melodrama

If you think you had a bad day, consider this.

Two Kingbirds have come back to their favorite nesting tree and have been keeping the hawks and Magpies away from the area.  Thinking all was peaceful, ten Am. and one Lesser Goldfinch, 6 Quail, 2 Red-winged Blackbirds and 5 House Finch were peacefully having brunch. Two other Kingbirds arrived and a battle ensued which took the Kingbirds down the block.  Seeing his opportunity, a Hawk swooped down for the birds by the feeder.  I've never heard such screeching as all those birds flew off across the street for the safety of the wall of tall, thick Spruces growing there.  One Quail froze under a Pine.  He didn't move for an hour and until his mate came back for him.  I'm sure he was embarrassed since his primary job is as a lookout.

Yes, traffic was a nightmare, but no one tried to eat you.