From: Bruce & Lynn Robinson [mailto:dbruce@prodigy.net] Sent: Friday, May 07, 2004 9:07 AM
To: Cathleen Caron; birdtalk@utahbirds.org
Subject: Re: [BirdTalk] ID help

Hi Cathleen, Have you tried Green-tailed Towhee? Your description sounds like it might be this bird.

--- Cathleen Caron <CathyC@weider.com> wrote:

I was wondering if I could get some help with
identification of a new
bird I saw in my backyard two days ago. I have never
seen one like it
that I can recall.  I am a novice birder and I have
scoured my Sibley
book, but can't find what I saw.  The bird was
robin-like in size and
form. It had a white throat with a white stripe over
it's eyes. The top
of its head and back were rusty colored and the rest
grayish.
Unfortunately other details are already fading from
my memory, but I
believe it's belly was un-speckled and light in
color. It was foraging
around in the dirt under my pine tree.  I thought it
must be some kind
of thrush, but nothing in the book seems quite
right. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

=====
Ain't Birding Great!!! Bruce Robinson 272 Utah Life Birds and Counting!!!