Washington County

April 28 -- May 1, 2004

April 28:  On the way to St. George, I took the experience of Kris Purdy and
birded Kolob Canyon in Zion National Park just off of I-15.  At most of the
turn-offs, I stopped, looked, listened, and was amply rewarded. Some of the
highlight birds were:  Virginia's Warbler, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher,
Black-throated Gray Warbler, Golden Eagle, White-throated Swifts, Lazuli
Bunting, Bushtit, Juniper Titmouse, and Plumbeous Vireo.  Be warned that it
took me 10 hours to get to St. George from Provo because of the side trip.

A Vermillion Flycatcher and a Sora were seen at the Dixie Red Hills Golf
Course.

April 29:  Lytle Ranch didn't disappoint me.  The temperatures did not break
60 degrees, and it was cloudy with some wind.  The best birds included:
Common Black-Hawk, Eurasian Collared Dove (feeding on the ground in the
parking lot--this bird does not appear on the ranch's check list), Lucy's
Warbler, Plumbeous Vireo, Hooded Oriole, Summer Tanager.  At various
locations in the Beaver Dam Wash area, I saw a Cactus Wren, Lark Sparrow,
Black-throated Sparrow, Gray Flycatcher, and a Gray Vireo.

South of the town of Gunlock was a Blue-winged Teal in a small (I mean tiny)
pond (accompanied by Cinnamon Teal)

April 30:  Along the Virgin River Parkway was a Greater Roadrunner and a
White-winged Dove in Washington.

May 1:  Zion National Park's top bird was the Painted Redstart on the
Riverwalk Trail.  A Blue Grosbeak and Black-headed Grosbeak were also seen
in Zion NP.

I saw a total of 106 species in Washington County.  This does not match the
155 species seen by Rick Fridell, Kevin Wheeler, and Larry Tripp in one day.
Of course six eyes, local knowledge, and three of the best birders in Utah
should have that kind of success. I congratulate them, and wouldn't doubt
that they set a record for the number of birds seen in one day in Washington
County.

I failed to locate an Inca Dove, Crissel Thrasher, Common Moorhen, and a
Ladder-back Woodpecker despite going to the locations several times where I
have previously seen them.  I would greatly appreciate anyone telling me
about where these four species can be located with a fairly good chance of
success.

Time ran out, and I did not go to Sand Hollow Reservoir where Rick reported
a lot of shorebirds, nor did I go to Seigmiller Pond, Tonaquint Park,
Grafton, Mathis Park, Oak Grove Campground, nor Washington Fields.

Good birding to all!
Alton Thygerson