Additional Info on Red Knots

Several people have asked for additional info on the three Red Knots Glenn Barlow and I saw Wednesday on the mudflats south of the first bridge (between mm 5 and 6) on Antelope Island Causeway.

The knots wore their rusty summer plumage and were just SLIGHTLY smaller than the 31 Black-bellied Plovers accompanying them.  Glenn and I had a partial side view since we were driving the Causeway from east to west.  We didn't see any white on any of the three knots, including undertail coverts, as all three shorebirds were generally facing north into the wind.   The size of the birds ruled out the larger shorebirds--any godwit and both dowitchers, and the much smaller Red Phalarope, Curlew Sandpiper (Ha!  Just wanted to be thorough), and rusty Sanderlings (no white on the knots' bellies, anyway).

Both Glenn and I got out of the truck, hunkered down next to the tires to get out of the wind, and studied with our scopes.  The knots had shorter legs than the plovers and a hunched-shoulders look as if they didn't have necks.   They were quite cleanly rusty on their heads, necks and all the way down through the bellies.  Their folded wings and backs appeared to be a mottled grayish-tan, and the bills were definitely not long.  We were not close enough to determine leg color.

With that size (compared to the plovers' size) and those field marks, we once again ruled out any other rusty-reddish shorebird.  Hope this information helps.

Kris