Mandarin Ducks, Keep Your Eyes Open for Wild Ones

Some good replies so far to the Mandarin Duck post.  It is interesting to see what others think and to stimulate discussion.

I almost included a quip about Pink Floyd in my original post on this subject.  But, I decided to delete that.  As one respondent correctly pointed out, the Chilean Flamingo is an escapee from Tracy Aviary.  However, he has now successfully lived in the wild and has been observed in neighboring states.  This says that Pink Floyd is finding food without human assistance, unlike those confined in an aviary or private collection.  Further, the bird is leaving the area and returning on numerous occasions, he must like it here (of course, plentiful food supply), and he knows how to navigate back.

As far as posing a "problem," not to quibble, but what problems do Mandarin Ducks pose?  Remember that Starlings (Sturnidae) are on the state checklist for 2004 (http://www.utahbirds.org/checklistUtah.htm) and are noted as common and permanent residents being found year-round in the state.  Unless I am mistaken, Starlings do pose problems in the nesting cycles of other birds, and they were introduced to North America from the European continent.  But, they are on the list.  So, the question becomes one of the criteria for inclusion on the list.  If Pink Floyd is not wild, then what is he?  (He is a "he" isn't it?)  And if not wild, then what is the definition of wild?  (From the "lek" discussion I'll look to Webster's online which says:  "Wild (adjective) -- not subject to restraint or regulation..., living in a state of nature and not ordinarily tame or domesticated <wild duck>..., growing or produced without human aid or care."

I would postulate that Mandarin Ducks, if indeed they are living on their own here in Utah, and if indeed they are migrating in and out of the state and/or successfully nesting and reproducing, ought to be added to the list.  They certainly are not common, perhaps rare, occasional, accidental or irregular.  As another respondent posted: "Obviously the flamingo IS wild if it's been seen for the past 15 years...At some point your escapees become countable. Just ask the Eurasian Collared Doves."

Mandarin Ducks do seem to be living in the wild here.  I say "seem" because I am not positive of this, nor does anyone else seem to be.  My intuition tells me that Mandarin Ducks may well be wild here, and we don't know it, yet.  How will we know unless people keep an eye out for this rather beautiful bird.  (Sure prettier than Starlings, a lot more pleasing to the ear too.)  So, if the criteria for inclusion on the state list includes wildness, and evidence exists that Mandarin Ducks are living in the wild, then logic leads to a conclusion that they ought to be added to the list.  While a purist pursuit of accuracy and precision is warranted, bias or prejudice ought not to prevent inclusion.

It seems to me that it all revolves around the question of "is there sufficient evidence to conclude that Mandarin Ducks are living in the wild, in a state of wildness, here in Utah?"  So, I'd ask to keep the ol' bird finders (eyes) open.  Mandarin Ducks are seen occasionally enough that either they regularly are escaping and then succumbing to predation or natural mortality, or they are living in the wild.  But, the question ought not be brushed aside simply because they commit the offense of escaping from an aviary or personal bird collection.  If they are wild, then they are wild.

Anyone else have any insight on the matter, or care to add to the discussion?  I for one would welcome the dialogue.

Best Birding to You.
(Yup, Birdin's Great!)

Matthew.