Re: Mandarin Duck's (Some Thoughts On,)

I think the line is drawn when it is well known that Tracy
Aviary keeps several paris, and who knwos about private
colelctors around the valley.  A species such as Mandarin
Duck as a wild resident or migrant in Utah is almost
absolutely out of the question.  The fact is around the
nation there are escaped birds that pose this problem.  This
year alonein the midwest there have been sightings of Smew,
and Tufted Duck, both of which were decided to be escaped
collection birds.  Also currenlty 2 Great Tits are being
seen in Racine, WI along Lake Michigan.  THese brids were
likely form someones personal aviary or a zoo, and when the
wings weren't kept they caught there chance. Another example
to look at is Pink Floyd, the Chilean Flamingo.  Can he be
considered wild?  I mean for the past 10 - 15 years he has
been parading around Utah, Wyopming, Idaho and Montana, but
by no means his he an acceptable state record.  The basic
conclusion is really a hard point to come by; species like
Eurasian Wigeon, Garganey, Tufted Duck, and several other
european/asian birds are seen annually along the coasts and
occaisionally inland, but we dont really here about wild
Mandarin Duck's.  Im not saying it isn't possible but the
likely answer is that these such birds are escapes, as with
most "spectacular rare" sightings.

One Doubtful Birder.

Tim Avery

Tim Avery