Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 1:47 PM
Subject: [BirdTalk] Help with bird call ID

I was out on the dead end airport road last night (Cache Valley), checking to see if there were any short eared owls out and about. I did not see any (or hear any), but I heard many birds, including a call I could not place. I checked all the CD field guides I have (Petersons, Stokes, Western Bird songs from Cornell) and the call I came closest to was the Boreal Owl.
Now, there is no way it could be Boreal Owls (or could it?) that I heard calling to each other in opposite fields. Boreal Owls are known to breed in isolated spots of the Rocky Mountains, sometimes making an appearance in northern Utah. But this is not the right habitat (open farm fields). The range would be correct, as well as the time of year.
Can anyone tell me what would sound similar to the Boreal Owl? I have tracked through every single bird on my CDs and cannot find anything that resembles what I heard, only the Boreal Owl.

Help me, so I don't go crazy figuring this out!!

Thanks,
Stephen Peterson
Logan, UT

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar – FREE! _______________________________________________ "Utah Birds" web site: http://www.utahbirds.org BirdTalk: To subscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-subscribe@utahbirds.org To unsubscribe, e-mail: birdtalk-unsubscribe@utahbirds.org To send a message, e-mail: birdtalk@utahbirds.org _________________________________________________