A Cooper's Stoop

"THERE'S AN ACCIPITER!"  And with those words, that screech, that excited verbal eruption, my son and I were birding.  We had just arrived back in our neighborhood this afternoon after running errands, and I caught sight of a hawk soaring in tight circles against the backdrop of cotton ball clouds.  I pulled over and stopped quickly enough to dump to the floor the items that were on my front seat.  The hawk broke away from its swirling and alternately glided and flapped in the direction from which we had approached.  No problem!  I turned around quickly and the chase was on.

My view was always bad.  Trees purposely and vindictively wedged themselves between me and the flapping, gliding hawk, or the hawk flew high over the passenger's side.  The only impression I had picked up after a minute or two was that the tail was very long.  After several turns, stops and shameless long-necked gawking out the window, the hawk hung in the air for a few seconds on my son's side of the truck.  And then...it tucked its wings close to its flanks in a stoop and became a dead ringer for a smart bomb like those you see in slo-mo on the Discovery Wings channel.  I guessed where the hawk's trajectory would take it and made a fraction-of-a-second glance to my left.  It was headed for a thick hedge next to a wooded yard--a favorite haunt of California Quail.  The hawk was a gray blur as it swooped fifty feet ahead of the truck and crossed the road.  Just as it bottomed out of its stoop, it buzzed several gray fleeing objects--presumably quail feeding next to the hedge, spread its wings, and flared up into a tree overhanging the hedge.

The hawk was well disguised even without foliage on the trees.  It took two new perches in the wooded yard and I still couldn't see it.  The hawk's opportunity with the quail was lost, but the stoop provided me with another clue--size of the intended prey.  The hunter took flight again and rose in quick circles high above my side of the truck and in front of us.  The hawk came 'round and 'round again and offered great views of its shape and proportions.  Its head projected out in front of the straight leading edges of its wings.  The wrist area of the wing did not have the appearance of being pushed forward.  That tail still impressed me with its length.  I focused exclusively on the length of the tail and forgot to examine the shape of the end of it.  Oh, well.  I think I accumulated enough field marks or behavior traits to conclude the Accipiter was a Cooper's Hawk.

My son dutifully looked at the hawk through the binoculars, but he was relieved when I finally gave up the chase.  And his reaction to the hot pursuit?  "MOM!  I'm telling Dad you chased a bird with your truck!"  Ah, my little innocent.  Hee-hee.  It wasn't the first time, and it won't be the last.

Kris