Davis County

Sunday at Antelope Island we saw a rough-legged hawk on the way to Garr
Ranch.  That's the first time we've ever seen one of those on the island.

At the ranch when we arrived around 9:00 a.m. we couldn't find any owls in
the barn or anywhere else.  We walked around from one end of the ranch to
the other accompanied by the cute little tame deer and two of her
companions.  They even followed us down the boardwalk, into the lake muck,
and back again. Just as we were leaving around 11:00 a.m., having lost our
dear deer companions, we stepped back into the barn and two owls flew to
the other end and then out the doors.  A man outside said they looked like
barn owls but it was so dark in the barn, we can't be certain.

Other birds spotted on the island--least sandpipers, northern harrier,
loggerhead shrike, chukar, horned lark, double-crested cormorants,
great-blue heron and lots of melodic meadowlarks.

At Kaysville ponds were gadwall, hooded mergansers, ring-necked ducks,
lesser scaup, pied-billed grebe, ruddy duck, wigeon and other assorted
waterfowl. At Farmington bay and surrounding area we saw swan, pintails,
cinnamon teal, and bufflehead.

Carol