Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 9:56 PM
Subject: Farmington City Wetlands Study

Greetings:

I received a newsletter from Farmington City in the mail today.  It is the March 2004 issue of Farmington News.  I bring it to your attention, since it features an article regarding a Wetland Planning Meeting and Open House slated for March 24th at 7 p.m., at the Farmington City offices located at 130 North Main Street in Farmington.

The article discusses the recent approval by the Mayor and City Council for a wetland planning study.  The purpose of the study is to inventory and map wetlands situated within the City's incorporated boundaries.  The wetland inventory will be used for land use planning.

The article suggests that this study will be a potential first step toward developing a Special Area Management Plan (SAMP).  A SAMP is a planning tool which provides for the US Army Corps of Engineers pre-approving the development of certain wetland areas. The article explains that the City believes the development of a SAMP will help the City's economic development and help landowners better understand the best land use options for their properties.

The open house will focus on areas located both east and west of I-15.  General information about the study will be provided and its use in future land use planning.  Unfortunately, I will be attending the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, Northern Region Regional Advisory Council Meeting in Brigham City at that time and will miss this important public Farmington meeting.  I feel it is important that this meeting be attended by Audubon representatives from local chapters and the Utah Audubon Council, as well as other stake holders, interested parties and citizens to fully understand this study and the impacts it may have to wetlands through development.

Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area is located nearby; potential development of surrounding wetlands may impact this area.  The Great Salt Lake Bird Festival is held in this area and may be impacted too.  There has been quite a bit of development of residential housing subdivisions in Farmington which have already fragmented habitat for a variety of wildlife.  Development of various tracts of land in Farmington for commercial and residential use continues.  Wetland and upland areas have already been impacted and lost through development.  Parts of Farmington suffered flooding and mud slides during the spring of 1983.  Reduction of wetlands may further exacerbate future flood situations.

There was a Farmington newsletter in the past that described the time line in which Farmington could be fully developed.  We ought to consider whether full development is desirable.  Keeping some open space, green belts and wetlands ought to be one of the goals within this community.

Please forward this e-mail to those whom you know will be interested in attending this meeting and becoming aware of this wetland study.

Regards,

Bill Fenimore
AT Large Representative
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources