Biding Hyrum, March & and 8, 2004

Hi all

Jill and I birded the Hyrum area on yesterday and today, the 7th and 8th of March.

Yesterday, we started out by heading east on Rt. 101 until we got to the Hyrum City Park.  There we parked and got out and walked west.

On the way, we had several Golden-crowned Kinglets, and a few American Dippers.  We also had our first ever Mountain Chickadees and the first Townsend's Solitaire that we found by ourselves.  On the way back, we managed to find a dead, juvenile male, Red Crossbill, which was the first one we ever saw, but of course we can't add him to our life lists.

Later on, we went up the hill around the Hyrum Lake, and checked out the lake.  On the part that's melting, we saw some ducks that we couldn't identify, so we came home to get a scope.  Upon our return, we still couldn't identify the ducks, so we went south on 200 East, and we saw a Red-tailed Hawk on the cliff overlooking the lake.

Here's what we saw yesterday:

Hyrum, 3/7/2004
Length: 21

Contents:
Canada Goose
Common Goldeneye
Red-tailed Hawk
Sharp-tailed Grouse
American Coot
Rock Pigeon
Northern Flicker
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow
Black-capped Chickadee
Mountain Chickadee
American Dipper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Townsend's Solitaire
American Robin
European Starling
Song Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
House Finch

Today, we went back to the beach entrance to Hyrum Lake, armed with scope.  We were able to ID the ducks this time.  They turned out to be our FOY Common Mergansers (species #120 for the year, and species #61 for the year in Utah).  On the way home, we went into the regular entrance to the park and went down to the lake.  It's still mostly frozen, except for the one spot way out.  Seeing nothing, we started to return home.  Before we could cross the street, our Prairie Falcon landed on the telephone pole in our yard.  I managed to get some digital pics of him sitting on his perch.  What a way to end an outing!

Good birding,
Richard

Hyrum, 3/8/2004
Length: 9