birding 3/6/2004

Hi all

Jill and I went birding yesterday.  Our goal was to go to the Bear Lake area; however, we got as far as the first Logan Dam, but the road was closed due to a bad storm and whiteout conditions.  So, we stopped at the dam for a bit and birded there.  We then went to Mayor's Pond in Brigham City, followed by a stop at the Ogden Nature Center.  On the way home to Hyrum, we stopped off at Willow Bay.

Here's what we saw:

Hyrum/Logan/Brigham City/Ogden/Willow Bay, 3/06/2004
Length: 28

Contents:
American White Pelican (Willow Bay)
Canada Goose (Logan, Ogden Nature Center)
Mallard (Logan Dam, Ogden Nature Center)
Lesser Scaup (Logan Dam)
Common Goldeneye (Logan Dam)
Barrow's Goldeneye (Logan Dam, Mayor's Pond)
Bald Eagle (Willow Bay)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (I 15)
Red-tailed Hawk (Logan)
Golden Eagle (Hyrum (backyard))
American Kestrel (Logan, Mayor's Pond)
American Coot (Small pond near Exit 360 north on I 15)
Ring-billed Gull (Willow Bay)
California Gull (Willow Bay)
Rock Dove (Logan)
Lewis's Woodpecker (Willow Bay)
Black-billed Magpie (Ogden Nature Center, Hyrum, Logan)
American Crow (Logan)
Black-capped Chickadee (Ogden Nature Center)
American Robin (Ogden Nature Center, Hyrum)
European Starling (Hyrum)
Spotted Towhee (Ogden Nature Center)
American Tree Sparrow (Mayor's Pond)
Song Sparrow (Mayor's Pond)
White-crowned Sparrow (Ogden Nature Center)
Dark-eyed Junco (Ogden Nature Center)
House Finch  (Ogden Nature Center)
House Sparrow (Ogden Nature Center)

The highlights were the FOY American Tree Sparrow that we saw at Mayor's Pond, the Spotted Towhees at the Ogden Nature Center (our first in Utah), the FOY American White Pelicans at Willow Bay, as well as the Bald Eagle standing out on the frozen lake at Willow Bay, and the Golden Eagle that was waiting for us in a tree in our "backyard" when we got home.

We also had a POSSIBLE Lewis's Woodpecker at Willow Bay.  He was in a tree near the parking lot at Eagle Beach.  When we tried to get a better look, he flew.  We did notice that he had the wrong shape to be a Northern Flicker and was too big to be a Downy Woodpecker; he was shaped more like a Lewis's Woodpecker.  While a Lewis's Woodpecker would be out of range in this part of Utah at this time of year, we also know that Lewis's Woodpeckers are very likely to be seen out of range in winter, as we have seen Lewis's Woodpeckers out of range in winter in Texas (we had one in December at Balcones Canyonlands NWR).  There was also a report of another sighting somewhere else in Texas in December of last year.

Good birding,
Richard