Sage Sparrow, Mew Gull

     Well today was an early day off of work for me, so I figured I would run out and see what was around. I first stopped at the Provo Airport Dike ( Utah County ) where I saw a Sage Sparrow on the east part of the new extension. I ran into Cheryl and she told me she had seen one also on the east/west part of the old dike. She also said she saw a Barrow's Goldeneye at Valtec  Ponds. Does anyone know where those are? Are those the ponds in Springville near the company called Flowserve? Anyway in Springville at the pond in front of Flowserve was a male Barrow's Goldeneye. Also on the airport dike was a Loggerhead Shrike.
     At Utah Lake State Park there was a flock of gulls on the ice between the two jetty's. I had my scope this time and immediatly my eyes were directed to a smaller gull. It was smaller then the Ring-billed Gulls it was near by. It had it's head tucked in, but I could see that it had a dark iris. Soon it brought it's head up and revealed a smaller bill then any of the ring-billed gulls around it. It had black at the base of the bill and still could only see a black iris. It's bill was a little thicker then I would of thought, but yet still smaller then the Ring-billed, and noticabley. It looked to be a second winter Mew or Ring-billed Gull. I continued to watch this gull for near an hour as it put its head up and down. I looked at the eye again and again but could only see a dark iris. It had a round smooth head. It's wingtips were white. Which is also something that looks like a Mew Gull would have. It resembled best the 2nd winter in the National Geographic field guide. It's legs were a dull yellow. I also have looked at several field guides and pictures on the internet. I found quite a few pictures that were very simiIar to this gull. I was there later in the day. from about 3:00 to 4:00. The gulls never flew, stayed on the ice the whole time. If anyone has a chance to locate it let me know what you think. But my conclusion is that it is a Second Winter Mew Gull.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Search - Find what you?re looking for faster.