Northern Utah

February 28, 2004

I've had several inquiries about our trip to Ketcham, Idaho in search of the
Hawk Owl, and here's a reply for those who might be interested.

On February 26 Reed Stone, his brother Kay, Tuula Rose, and I made it to
Exit 32 (entrance to White¹s Valley) on I-84 when we decided to turn back
because of the road conditions (snow).  We didn't venture into White's
Valley because of the road conditions.  I called the Idaho Highway Road
Conditions center and learned that they had 8 inches on the ground in
Ketcham with prospects of more.

We birded on the way back to Provo.  Nothing spectacular was seen at Mayor¹s
Pond in Brigham City, Mantua Reservoir, nor at Willard Bay.  We drove the
Causeway and to Garr Ranch.  The best bird of the day were great looks at
two Peregrine Falcons (male and female) flying down the Causeway.  They gave
us acrobatic flight views.  We stopped at Farmington Bay and saw hundreds of
Bald Eagles but all the other birds (e.g., Ruff) had flown the coop.  Even
where the Ruff was, there were few birds.

It wasn¹t the best day of successful birding (except for the falcons)!

I would be interested (depending upon the day and the time of day due to my
job) in seeing the Bewick's Swan at Farmington Bay should anyone want to
make the attempt.  Am I to understand that after the location where the Ruff
was, that it's a 2.6 mile walk to the location or am I reading the report
wrong?  I'm always ready for a good walk.

Alton Thygerson