Yellow-rumped Warbler

Fellow Birders:

Well, sometimes I'm a bit slow, but I've been struggling to identify a bird that has been visiting my yard all winter here in the East Millcreek area. I initially thought it was a vireo, Cassin's or White-eyed, and had a hard time getting a good look at it. Today, with all the rain and the bird hanging out under a grape arbor for several hours, I've been able to get a much better look. (At least when the Robin isn't chasing it away.)

After carefully looking through Sibley's Guide and ruling out most any other similarly sized and colored birds, it appears to be a Yellow-rumped Warbler, Audubon's variety. The yellow crown gives it away. But, the thing is, Sibley indicates it as a Summer visitor, not winter or year-round. I searched through the past 1 1/2 years of birdnet/birdtalk that I have filled away on the bottom-less hard-drive, and found a bunch of your sightings of the Yellow-rumped Warbler. Most of the birdnet/birdtalk sightings have been during May through October. As I say, this bird has been visiting my yard all winter. Albeit, only a single bird, but it's here every few days, at least. Have others of you seen this Warbler species year-round? If not, maybe this is a first...

Say, if you have not visited Ted Steinke's Bald Eagle photos, that Milton posted about earlier today, at: http://utahbirds.org/featarts/BaldEagles.htm, they are quite good and worth having a look-see.

Yup, birdin's great!

Matthew