Stephen Peterson

From: "Bryan Shirley" <bt_shirley@hotmail.com> Reply-To: "Bryan Shirley" <bt_shirley@hotmail.com> To: birdtalk@utahbirds.org Subject: Idaho Northern Hawk Owl Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:48:01 -0700

There is in fact a Hawk Owl in Sun Valley Idaho. Eric Huish and I just saw it today. It took us 5
hours to get there from Orem, but it is well worth the drive. It was at the intersection of
Elkhorn Village & Highline in Ketchum. When we got there
it couldn't have possibly been any more obvious. There are only a few trees there and it was
in the top of a small pine. A lady was shoveling snow about 10 yards from the owl. We
actually were too close to fit the whole owl in our spotting scopes!
There are also Common Redpolls in the neighborhood and we heard that there is a Hoary
as well, but we didn't see it.

Bryan Shirley