Antelope Island Causeway

I spent the waning light of the day today looking for winter specialties along the Antelope Island Causeway.  I found a few in 2 hours of birding.  I saw one Snow Bunting near mm 2 on the south side of the causeway in a flock of many busy and ever-flushing Horned Larks.  The Snow Bunting flushed as frequently as did the larks, complicating my attempts to find and re-locate and relocate and relocate it.  The bunting didn't even have the decency to stick to the edge of the flock or show markedly different behavior than the larks showed.  However, the Snow Bunting's lighter color and slightly larger size made it stand out a bit among the other birds.  I also noticed the Snow Bunting usually occupied the center of a group of foraging Horned Larks, and I always found the bunting about 20 feet off the edge of the road.  It foraged either in a stretch of rocks or weeds paralleling the road.

I also saw:

Common Goldeneyes (many)
Buffleheads (many)
Long-tailed Ducks (2 young males, south of the bridge between mm 0 and 1)
Barrow's Goldeneye (1 female, north of the bridge)
Rough-legged Hawk (1 very, very light juvenile, perched on a 40 mph sign that I rarely pay any attention)
Northern Harrier
American Kestrel
Common Ravens

And finally, as the long, late-afternoon and buttery rays of the sun struck low and gilded the Wasatch Front, I passed a clean and wild-looking Peregrine Falcon, subspecies tundrius, on an antenna pole on the south side of the causeway between mm 3 and 4.  I sped east past the pole at 4:50 and turned around for another look.  The falcon looked back at me, curious but unflinching.  It was an adult that looked at once lethal and svelte and powerful.  The head plumage was black and bold, with thinner moustachial markings than F. p. anatum shows.  The breast was clean, bright-white, and starkly barred with rows of black.  The falcon's back and wings were pale gray-blue--uniform and trim.  The gray-blue gave way to darker, sharp wing tips neatly folded over and matching the length of the dark tail.  Then the bird stood upright on those great yellow feet, extended its wings and exposed the uniform light underwings, and flew toward the Syracuse shore.  I drove away slowly--observing the 40 mph sign.

Kris