trumpeter swan monitoring - please help

First of all, let me apologize to any of you who receive more than one
copy of this note.

I'd like to recruit your help in watching for and reporting sightings of
trumpeter swans in Utah for the next few months. Efforts to re-introduce
the trumpeter swan to its native range have been going on for a number
of years in our northern neighboring states. During the last three
summers in Idaho, trumpeters have been released at Bear River and
Harriman State Parks. Many of these birds are participants in ongoing
studies. The participating birds are conspicuous by the presence of neck
bands (or collars), which are either green with white numbers or yellow
with black numbers. Some of the collars bear telemetry equipment; short
antennae may be visible. In addition, some but not all participating
birds have been painted a bright pink beneath one wing, making them easy
to identify in flight.

Most of the released birds have left Idaho for the winter. Some of the
birds have been reported in Utah. During the last few weeks sightings
have been reported from Jordanelle Reservoir to Hurricane and Moab.
Given the prolonged cold spell, there is some possibility of spying one
or more of the birds on any body of water of appreciable size still not
frozen over.

If you see a trumpeter swan between now and April, especially a collared
swan, please let me know as soon as is convenient. I'm interested in:

- collar number if possible
- location of the bird when observed (e.g., Farmington Bay, near 1st
bridge, west of road)
- is the observed swan alone or with other swans?
- date and time of day

I am also interested in hearing of any local bodies of water that remain
open. A number of aerial recon trips are being scheduled in an attempt
to find the birds.

Thanks so much for your help in the work of re-establishing these
beautiful birds!

Lu Giddings
e-mail: seldom74@xmission.com
phone: (801) 423.1682