Bountiful Landfill and Farmington Bay

This afternoon Pomera and I met Colby Neuman at the Bountiful Landfill at 2 p.m.  We had a great time for about 2 hours and were able to see some great gulls.  We were finally rewarded with seeing the (what we think is a 2nd year) Lesser Black-backed Gull and a juvenile Glaucous-winged Gull.

Birds seen included the following in various phases, from juvenile to adult:

California Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Thayer's Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Glaucous-winged Gull

Along, I then went to Farmington Bay in search of some kind of owl.  Near the classrooms there was a Red-tailed Hawk in the trees.  That was followed by a flock of about 12 Green-winged Teal in the pond to the east, bathing in the small patch of open water.  I saw several Northern Harrier, but the first was on the left side of the road, on the way to Egg Island  There was also a Bald Eagle and 2 Red-tails in the trees to the south--one very close to the road.  At the first culvert on the west dike there were 18 Bald Eagle and about the same number of Great Blue Heron.  As I approached the second bridge a Barn Owl flew up from the right side of the road, with what looked like a Vole in its talons.  It flew a small distance then landed in some weeds.  It wasn't hiding well enough, since I had great looks at its heart-shaped face.  More Northern Harriers and a pair of American Kestrels were also seen in this area.

On my way out I glanced back and saw the Barn Owl again pounce on a prey of some sort.  Good news.

It was very cold, but a great day for birding.  Thanks Pomera and especially Colby.  Good luck in your next year at Cornell!

Glenn