Can anyone help me ID hawks?

While driving south on I-15, just north of Mona, on Tuesday about 2:00 p.m., I saw several hawks sitting on fences near the side of the freeway. Their heads and backs were dark, their breasts seemed to be lighter with darker "spotting". I'm a rank beginner at birding and since I was the driver I needed to keep my eyes on the road and not on the birds. Has anyone else seen these birds? Do you know what they are?
I counted ten of them along about a five-mile stretch.
I tried looking them up on the UtahBirds website and in a field guide I have here, but no luck.
thanks,
Linda