Birding Northern Utah

Today Merrill Webb and I took the opportunity to travel through much of Northern Utah.  We started at the Bountiful Landfill, where we were greeted by the sight of many gulls.  Unfortunately we were not able to find the Lesser Black-backed Gull previously seen.  However, were certainly saw our share of Ring-billed and Herring Gulls and were able to add Thayer's and Glaucous Gulls to our lists.  What a great sight we had of a juvenile Glaucous, as it landed right in front of us.  The whiteness of the Glaucous in amazing to see, after seeing so many gulls with black wing tips! I was also rewarding to compare the Herring Gulls and Thayer's Gulls as they mixed with each other.

Our next stop was the Kaysville North Pond, where we saw many ducks, and were able to add Northern Pintail and many Hooded Mergansers to the birds seen.  I blinked as Merrill reported a Belted Kingfisher passing in front of our vehicle, so he was the only one to see it.

On the way to Brigham City and Mayor's  Pond, we saw a couple of Rough-legged Hawks on I-15.  At Mayor's Pond we saw many of he ducks previously reported by Kris Purdy.  After being there on Monday it was amazing to see how much more of the pond was covered by ice.  The pair of Barrow's Goldeneye were still off by themselves and we counted at least 4 pairs of Greater Scaup.  Four Mule Deer were also grazing on some tender branches across the pond, near the inlet of the river.  We also saw Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Duck, Mallard, Gadwall, American Wigeon, Lesser Scaup, and a Pied-billed Grebe.  While watching the ducks two Wilson's Snipe flew in front of us.

We next ventured west of Brigham City and Corinne, on Highway 83, toward Thiokol, looking for Horned Larks, with the hope of also seeing Lapland Longspur.  Hope failed us!  We turned into Salt Creek WMA where we saw more Rough-legged Hawks, American Kestrel, a Bald Eagle, and a pair of Common Raven.  From a small hill in the refuge we saw 7 swans (a swimming) quite a distance to the north, so we could not identify them, except the gray necks and heads of some indicated they were juveniles.

Back on Highway 93 going west we immediately saw a male Prairie Falcon sitting high on a power pole, and shortly thereafter saw what looked like a female Prairie Falcon sitting a short distance away on a similar pole on top of some rocks.  Her white breast in the afternoon sun was beautiful.  We also saw a pair of Killdeer, an American Pipit and Northern Harrier in the same vicinity.

We decided to turn off 83 and go toward the Golden Spike National Monument.  After hoping for a view of some kind of owl, or even a Horned Lark, we were finally rewarded with a great view of a Northern Shrike.  It was very interesting to see it take off from its place of the telephone wire and fly to the middle of a field and hover in place for sometime.  We then saw it flying low over the brush covered field and then rising to land again on the wire.  Our good looks in the scope told us it was a gray first winter bird.  The white was very evident over the thin, black mask.  The hook at the tip of the beak was very noticeable.  Lovely bird, which allowed us some time to study it.

As we turning down the road to Golden Spike Merrill immediately spotted a Merlin (Columbarius) sitting on a low fence post, next to the road.  It appeared to be systematically eating what appeared to be a Horned Lark, as it started plucking feathers and eating at the head, then plucking the long wing feathers.  [We wondered if birds of prey have a systematic manner of devouring their prey each time they eat.  Or, if a particular bird will approach its prey in the same manner each time.]

The distant fields behind the Merlin were covered with about 100 Common Raven.

Next, we went to Collinston, north of Honeyville and Deweyville, to try to find a reported Trumpeter Swan on the Collinston Ponds.  No success!  On our way to Tremonton, via Riverside and Fielding, we crossed the Bear River, where we saw 3 Common Merganser near the bridge.

At the end it was a long, cold, enjoyable day birding in Northern Utah.  Too many places to go and not enough time!  Thanks Merrill for a great birding experience!

Glenn

Glenn