Northern Utah Birding

Eric Huish and I ran out to do some birding today in Rich, Cache and Box Elder Counties. We had to deal with the fog everywhere we went except in the mountains. It was a wonderful day of birding. We both got life birds. The Gray Partridge. We ended up seeing them in two locations. We saw them first in the town of Garden City on the shores of Bear Lake. They were on the streets feeding. Not many places to feed I guess with all that snow. We saw them again near the mouth of the canyon that goes up to Logan in Brigham City. They were near the pond. Also there was a Barn Owl out hunting in the day on the west side of Cache Valley near the town of Benson. Also at Willard Bay we had a very strange sighting of a Sharp-tailed Grouse. Has anyone ever seen a Sharp-tailed Grouse here? Or that far south in Utah? Any information would be great. We had very good looks at it. Studied it for awhile to make sure it wasn't anything else. Below is a list of birds that we saw. In no particular Order

RICH COUNTY ( birding Bear Lake Valley, very foggy )

American Tree Sparrow 2
Bald Eagle 15
Common Raven 6
Belted Kingfisher 1
Mallard 3
Downey Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 2
European Starling 15
Black-billed Magpie 4
Red Breasted Nuthatch ( Heard Only )
Pine Sisken 2
Red Crossbill 3 ( seen near the Rich/Cache county line on US-89 )
Mountain Chickadee 3
Brown Creeper 1
Gray Partridge 16 ( In the town of Garden City )
Red-winged Blackbird  8
Black-capped Chickadee 2
Common Goldeneye 4
American Goldfinch 15
Rock Pigeon 1
American Coot 50

CACHE COUNTY
Barrow's Goldeneye 3 ( first Dam )
Common Goldeneye 3
Lesser Scaup 1
American Wigeon 1
Bufflehead 1
Mallard 30
Ring-necked Duck 1
Black-billed Magpie 4
Red Crossbill 8 ( near Beaver Mountain Ski Resort up Logan Canyon )
Mountain Chickadee 1
Pine Sisken 2
Common Raven 3
Song Sparrow 1
American Dipper 1
Townsend Solitaire 2
Chukar 4
Bald Eagle 2
European Starling 5
American Crow 10
Barn Owl 1 ( in the fields near Benson )
Horned Lark 20
Red-tailed Hawk 3
Rock Pigeon 2
Western Meadowlark 3
American Kestrel 2
House Sparrow 25
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Ring-necked Pheasant 1
American Goldfinch 2
House Finch 2
Northern Flicker 1
Dark-eyed Junco 3

BOX ELDER COUNTY
Canada Goose 1
Redhead 1
Lesser Scaup 10
Ring-necked Duck 10
Mallard 3
Common Goldeneye 10
Barrow's Goldeneye 2 ( in the pond at the mouth of the canyon that goes to Logan in Brigham City )
Gadwall 5
American Wigeon 10
Green-winged Teal 2
Horned Lark 10
Great-blue Heron 1
Gray Partridge 4 ( foothills of Brigham City, near pond at mouth of canyon )
Chukar 12
Black-billed Magpie 4
Sharp-tailed Grouse 1 ( Willard Bay )
Cedar Waxwing 50
American Robin 15
Townsend Solitaire 1
American Crow ( Heard Only )
European Starling 30
House Finch 30
House Sparrow 15
Song Sparrow 3
White-crowned Sparrow 1
Dark-eyed Junco 5 ( noticed a lot of pink-sided juncos up north, not many Oregons )
Rock Pigeon 10

Do you Yahoo!?