Re: barn owl troubles

Lu,
The problem with the barn owls is likely a combination of starvation and cold stress.  The two problems go hand in hand.  All the deep snow has hampered their ability to get small rodents running along the ground (mainly voles).  This, coupled with the fact that it has been unusually cold, they have to spend more energy maintaining their body temperature (a double whammy).

Barn Owls are just not adapted to these kinds of conditions.  They have a much lower insulative value to their plumage then other owls and consequently their zone of thermoneutrality (range of ambient temperatures the bird can stand before they have to begin increasing metabolic rate to maintain body temperature) is very narrow.

If you look at their winter distribution you can see that northern Utah is along the northern most extent of their range and they don't occupy regions that typically experience these kinds of conditions every year (e.g. you don't find them in Montana).  The owls that winter here are gambling that conditions will be suitable for them.  In most years it is a safe bet but when they are wrong its deadly!

Carl Marti and Phil Wagner reported a similar occurrence of severe winter mortality here in northern Utah back during the winter of 1981 - 1982.

The upshot of all this is that because young barn owls have a very high dispersal rate, the population shouldn't be affected for too long.

Cheers
JFC

John F. Cavitt PhD
Dept. of Zoology
Weber State University
2505 University Circle
Ogden, UT 84408-2505

(801) 626-6172
FAX: (801) 626-7445
homepage: http://faculty.weber.edu/jcavitt

"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise."

Aldo Leopold

>>> "L. D. Giddings" <seldom74@xmission.com> 1/8/2004 10:46:23 PM >>>
Betsy,

when I visited Antelope Island yesterday I stopped at the Visitor's Center and
chatted with ranger for a while. He mentioned that they found one of the Garr
ranch barn owls dead the other day. If this is wide-spread, it seems unlikely
to be attributable to a single source of poisons or toxins, or to a lone act of
malicious mischief. Is it possible that an avian epidemic or cold stress is
responsible? Do you - or any of the rest of you - have any sense of which
cites/counties have been affected? Have any of you seen anything like this
before?

Lu Giddings