West End of the Lake

I was out driving east along I-80 today - around mile marker 192 (across from the GSL Marina) to check out one of the Kennecott ponds - I saw some ducks fly in there and wanted to check it out.  It's the only open freshwater around.  I didn't get my scope out because parking on the edge of a 75 mph on the highway isn't all that safe - let alone outside.  There was some dark birds smaller than the geese, but larger than the shovelers I couldn't figure out.  What I saw:

Shovelers (90% of all birds)
Golden eye
Bufflehead
Redhead
Wigeon
Pintail
grebe - probable pied-bill
Canada Geese
Northern Harrier
Bald Eagles flying around
GBH
AND
an American White Pelican - last seen flying northeast.

I don't remember seeing a pelican in January before.  further down (east) were a large group of gulls - I didn't take the time to i.d. them.

As an FYI I still have around 200 swans on the ISSR - sitting on the ice - they made a nice sound as I was digging myself out of a drift.

All the best birding!

Ann