Waterfowl Exotica

No need to pine for travel to distant lands to see exotic-looking waterfowl.  Just visit Kaysville Ponds in Davis County to enjoy the eight native Hooded Mergansers I saw there today at about noon.  Two of them were somber-looking frosty-crested females and the remaining six were exotic-looking, boldly-patterned, eye-catching, big-crested, give-me-a-double take, Lophodytes cucullatus males.  My compliments to The Big Graphic Artist in the sky who designed them.  What knockouts these little boys are!  Their black-and-white spurs sliced along the sides of their breasts down to the water.  The black secondary feathers edged in white created a zebra effect when folded over the black backs.  And the rusty sides!  The color is perfect for dramatic visual impact to set off the black-and-white plumage.

But the "crowning" glory of this exotic-looking species is the headdress.  The narrow black line bordering the back of the crest sharply divides the white globes on either sides of the duck's head.  The male mergansers exercised their ability to fan and fold those great big hoods after every dive and turn.  The crests must hold a great deal of water.  Just like a human swimmer with a thick head of hair, the ducks shook their heads to lighten the load and restore their coiffure upon surfacing.  The females did the same, but I'm afraid the girls will always look like they're in need of a trip to the salon when they're wet.  The effect of the females' head-shaking was to form one or more spikes of all the feathers sticking out straight back from their heads or on top.  Their crests looked like they were spiked with styling gel.

Despite the girls' hair-dos, the males seemed enamored.  I saw what I thought might be a type of courting display or demonstration to establish a social order.  The males pointed their beaks straight up, heaved their white breasts out of the water and then lurched their heads forward as they settled back down.  When one started, the others followed.  Same for diving.  One dove as the others looked nervously around, and then each duck followed in succession.  Peer pressure seems to have a powerful effect on this little duck.

The mergansers took occasional breaks from their diving, crest-fanning extravaganza to glide around the pond in a tight, arrow-shaped flotilla with the two females always in the lead (as it should be).  Sometimes the males cocked their tails high like Ruddy Ducks do.  The flotilla was also joined by a Bufflehead bachlorette.

At least half the surface of the water is still open and lots of waterfowl are using the ponds.  I saw about a dozen Ring-necked Ducks and they were evenly split between males and females.  Other species included five Graylag Geese gliding around in a snooty single-file formation trying to look superior to all with their beaks pointed skyward; Canada Geese, Mallards, Green-winged Teal, Northern Shovelers, American Wigeon, Lesser Scaup, Common Goldeneyes, Gadwall, American Coot, Pied-billed Grebes and lots of gulls (yawn).  I noticed a few birds more connected to flora or terra firma, too--Western Meadowlarks, American Magpies and House Finches.

To reach Kaysville Ponds, take Exit 331 off I-15 and turn east.  In approximately 1/2 mile, turn right on Main Street and proceed south for 1/4 mile.  Then bear right on 50 West.  Drive approximately a half mile--maybe a little more--and you'll see the ponds on your right.  They're sandwiched between 50 W. and the interstate and they're the new home of the Utah Botannical Gardens.

Kris