Lee Kay Ponds, Decker Lake

One of the things apparent about this birding thing is
that it is not static.  I've stopped by Lee Kay Ponds
that last 2 nights looking for the Common Loon that
Dana saw over the weekend.  You'd think it would stick
around and rest up for at least a couple of days
before heading out.  Not a chance.  But I was able to
get some fun sightings, even without the loon!
A little west of the largest pond at Lee Kay (out near
7200 west) is a small "puddle" on the south side of
the road.  Feeding along the edges of this shallow
body of water was a Greater Yellowlegs.  You'd think
that the snow/rain that we had yesterday would remind
this guy that he better be heading for warmer climes
while he can!!
On top of one of the poles at the eastern "exit" of
Lee Kay Pond Scenic Drive was a Raven tearing apart a
rat or a squirrel (based on the fact that the ponds
are across the road from the landfill, my guess would
be the former).  He didn't seem to mind me watching
him for several minutes, at least he didn't mind until
I started to set up my scope for a better view.  Then
HE headed SOUTH!!
As you might remember, yesterday afternoon was quite
windy.  The western pond was covered with gulls that
were "grounded" trying to escape the gusts of wind.
It made for easy pickin's to separate the Herring
Gulls from the Ring Bills and Cal Gulls.
The Horned Grebes were still there today, at least 2
of them were still present at 4:30.
Also, yesterday at lunchtime I made a quick jaunt to
Decker Lake in hopes of seeing the grackle (nope) and
American Tree Sparrow (nope, nope).  But I did see a
Northern Mockingbird in the trees on the north side of
the road.  This was the same place I saw a mockingbird
last December 24th.
I had better close this before someone starts thinking
that "Bruce" is a pseudonym for "Kris"!!!

Ain't Birding Great!!!