My Most Desired Bird

Greetings -

When the new year began, my most desired bird was the Northern Pygmy-Owl.  My thirst was quenched today as Alton, Glenn and I went in search of the owl KC and Eric found on Wednesday.  It wasn't a birthday bird for me like it was for Eric, but it certainly felt like it.  Wait a minute...one birthday a year is enough!

The owl came in to within fifteen feet of us and was only ten feet off the ground.  He and Alton had a hooting contest.  I guess the bird won because he was still going strong when we left.  Alton said something about going back to spend the night so he could keep the owl company.  We were treated to a long, unobstructed view of the bird from all angles.  Of particular interest were the "false eyes" on the back of his head.

Our last look at the owl showed him slowly opening and closing his mouth.  We assumed he was getting bored with it all, but then up came a pellet the size of my thumb.  Since this was a life bird for me, the guys thought it would be appropriate for me to take the pellet home.  Luckily, we were unable to locate it.

Pomera