Birding in my Livingroom

I found a way to stretch my birding hours after dark the past two nights in my livingroom by watching Ken Burns' American Stories, Lewis and Clark, on PBS television.  I heard many familiar voices by traveling along with Lewis and Clark from St Louis on their epic exploration of the west.  The sound track is beautifully done and incorporates many bird calls and songs into the background.  I also heard many low, twittering calls that I couldn't name---grrr---more study needed!

I always find it rewarding when birds are accurately depicted in a professional presentation.  Virtually all the distinctive calls were matched to cinematography of landscapes where you'd expect to find the particular bird.  The Western Screech-owls that accompanied the night campfires of an indian tribe were my favorites.  The only call that made me laugh was what sure sounded like an Eastern Blue Jay at the Winter Quarters (now called Fort Clatsop National Monument) south of what is now Astoria, Oregon, on the Pacific Coast.  Even with changes in range that occur over time, I've never hear that the Eastern Blue Jay ever lived out there!

Here's what else I heard:

Northern Bobwhite
Mourning Dove
Western Screech-Owl