Birding the BOR

I birded the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) Wetlands below Jordanelle Dam yesterday morning from 7:00 to 11:00 and alas, I cannot report birds so intriguing as a Sabine's Gull or Vermillion Flycatcher.  So I'll try to relay the intrigue of the regulars I saw.

It was c-c-c-c-c-cold! until the sun finally hit my back at 8:25.  The birds were active and noisy until sunlight reached down into the BOR and then the noise level dropped like somebody turned off a switch.  All the species I saw qualify as residents except for one Nashville Warbler.  I also saw astonishing numbers of American Robins, Northern Flickers, Belted Kingfishers, Song Sparrows, Marsh Wrens, American Magpies, Cedar Waxwings, Red-winged Blackbirds and Yellow-rumped Warblers.  I saw fewer numbers of Black-capped Chickadees, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, an American Dipper, an Osprey, several Red-tailed Hawks, two Osprey or the same one twice, an American Kestrel, Mallards, Great-blue Herons, American Goldfinches (audible only) and a Downy Woodpecker.

I had a comical view of a male Northern Flicker perched in a Red Osier Dogwood eating the white berries.  The flicker faced me squarely so that every time he tipped his head up to let a berry roll down between his mandibles and into his gape, he exposed his gray throat to me.  His red malar stripes framed his throat on either side like a mutton chop mustache might.

I also heard American Robins and Song Sparrows singing as if it was spring.  I'll share the words of an expert birder friend of my mother's in way of explanation for this behavior:  "In many bird species hormonal levels are controlled by the amount of daylight (e.g. woodcock) and since day length now is probably the equivalent of late March, some birds (and other animals) show springlike behavior."  He provided this info to my mom several weeks ago to help explain why a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker was excavating a hole in the oak tree in her Massachusetts front yard.

Back to the BOR, I approached a curve in the trail anticipating seeing a Gray Catbird when I rounded the bend.  Much to my surprise, the vocalist was a Song Sparrow singing a Gray Catbird-like song.  I have no enlightened explanations for why this was so.  I watched the sparrow for as long as he sang.  All the Song Sparrows are looking very jowly with a dark stripe swooping below a creamy malar stripe--yet another bird in mutton chop mustache-plumage!  I assume the Song Sparrows are in fresh fall plumage or their feathers just came back from the cleaners.

Along the boardwalk, I came across an olive-drab frog that must have clambered up between boards to absorb some of those life-giving rays of sun.  I picked the frog up, and it was c-c-c-c-c-cold as I was!  It wore a beautiful pale orange wash underneath from its throat to its tail, and never once protested my inspection by struggling.  It must have been too cold to move with the exception of an occasional eye blink and the regular fluttering of its throat.  I named it Kermit and put it back down on the boardwalk in dappled sunlight.

The rattle of Belted Kingfishers was with me constantly as I walked the trail from the parking lot to the dam.  I'm always happy to see one kingfisher; yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to hear and see many.  When I returned to the parking lot I watched one female preen on a low arching branch over the pond.  She turned her back to me and ruffled and rustled her tail feathers as if they were a bustle on a Victorian dress.  I had the same impression of a Red-tailed Hawk as I watched it preen.  I never realized the Red-tailed carries such...ahem...avoirdupois, or weight in its tail, until I watched the bird lift and preen the feathers on its rump.

The End

Kris