Better Than Bloodhounds

I've always heard that the Turkey Vulture has an extraordinary sense of smell, and I saw a demonstration of this today.  I was birding high on UT 39 around the Monte Cristo area.  After seeing a nice collection of birds on Eli Ridge Road at about mile 45.5, I continued a half mile further north and drove up the short distance to the summit of Mt McKinnon at 9081 feet.  The view was spectacular.  Along a ridge to the east, I saw a Turkey Vulture sailing and riding the updrafts.  Several more appeared, until seven or eight generally moved along the ridge.  I didn't think anything of it until they began to concentrate over one particular spot.  As several of the birds swooped lower than the tops of the tallest firs, it dawned on me that their presence at that place was not random.

Always up for a good wildlife show, I descended from the overlook quickly, sped along the highway a half mile or so to where I thought the birds were, and bumped along an off-road dirt track for a tenth of a mile.  I waited.  There they were!  The vultures were uncharacteristically low--lower than the treetops, alternately coursing between firs and aspens and abruptly popping up over them.  They rocked and teetered from side to side like a snowboarder in a half-pipe.  It was time for me to look for the object of their interest.

In the shade of a small colony of aspen saplings I spied a round and shiny object.  I had the odd feeling that it was a child's playground ball.  I also noticed that two parallel rows of flattened grass led to the spot.  The realization that I might come across something other than the deer carcass I expected to see hit me like a ton of bricks.  I walked over to the ball with apprehension.  The bright and shiny object was an animal's stomach.  Here I'll depart from my usual tendency to describe in great detail what else I saw.  Let it suffice to say that the vultures had directed me to a pile of gore.  A very large animal had been gutted and the entrails left to the environment.  There was no hide, meat, or bones.  As I inspected the scene before me, I realized that the act to place this pile here was quite recent.  Not only were the vehicle tracks still obvious due to the flattened grass, but all the organs were whole.  Only the flies had found the smorgasbord.  To my dismay, the wind shifted and blew a whiff of eau de pile of gore in my face.  It barely smelled at all; I was expecting to be overcome.

I returned to the highway and thought through the possibilities that would result in someone choosing to gut a large animal in August and take all but the usual discarded parts.  It could have been a collision with a moose, cow, or elk; or poaching.  I couldn't come up with any other logical explanations.  That last idea caused me to report the scene to the Rich County Sheriff's Department.  No matter the circumstance, the entrails shouldn't have been disposed of in this manner. UT 39 is not the back country, and 1/10 of a mile off the highway where people pull their RVs is not the proper place to dispose of entrails.

I set aside the mystery and birded along a few other side roads.  On the way home I decided to check on the vultures' progress from a distance out of view of the you-know-what.  Two vultures had landed in the 10-foot-tall aspen saplings next to their dinner and another five surveyed the scene from a tall fir.  The fir vultures were a mix of black-headed youths, first-year birds and adults.  I marveled at the olfactory prowess that allowed them to quickly find the pile.  I couldn't smell any odor until I was about 10 feet from it; they came from who knows how far for the feast.  I estimate they were a quarter mile away when I first saw them working along the ridge.  Perhaps it's difficult to be thankful for birds like the Turkey Vulture, but I suppose they have their role in the cycle of life just like other birds do.

Kris