Misc. Sightings

Hi Everyone,

Please let me know if you're interested in knowing more about any of these sightings. I can give more detailed directions to any of these birds.

8/12 -> Dog Lake Trail/Great Western Trail - Millcreek Canyon - Salt Lake County

The pygmy-owl imitation worked wonders with dozens of the usual birds coming in each time...notable sightings include:

Downy Woodpecker - 2 (a little on the high side)
Cordilleran Flycatcher - 1 still singing
Red Crossbill - lots of small groups flying over
White-winged Crossbill - 2 seen on the Great Western Trail past the junction of the Dog Lake and Great Western Trails

8-13

Chicken Creek Reservoir (Juab Co.) - no shorebirds; dry with only one small puddle
Yuba Reservoir (Juab Co.) - very low with good shorebird habitat, but most birds were too far away to even scope
Tropic Reservoir (Garfield Co.) - good shorebird habitat, but only 1 Spotted Sandpiper

8-14 & 8-15 -> SW of Bryce Canyon NP near Tropic Reservoir along FR 087- Kane County

Bird Highlights include:

Peregrine Falcon - 1
Williamson's Sapsucker - a juvenile and a male were seen on separate occasions
and Black-throated Gray (4) & Virginia (1) Warblers in a Douglas-fir/Aspen forest

Butterfly highlights (the few I could identify) include:

Mourning Cloak - 1
Wiedemeyer's Admiral - 2
Clouded Sulfur - many
Sonoran Skipper - many
Mormon Fritillary - many
Small Wood-Nymph - 2
West Coast Lady - 1
Blue Copper - 1
Pine White - several
Common Buckeye - 1 -> probably the best butterfly due to its limited range in Utah

On 8-14 I woke up early and listened for migrants giving their nocturnal flight calls. In about 45 minutes I had 7 sparrows (Chipping?), 6 warblers and 2 unknowns fly over.

8-17 -> Clear Creek Campground - Raft River Mountains - Box Elder County

Bird Highlights:

Nashville Warbler - 1

Butterflies included: Field Crescents, Woodland Skippers and Common Branded Skipper

8-17 -> Lucin - Box Elder County

It was quiet with the only migrants being a juvenile Chipping Sparrow and a male Wilson's Warbler

As always...

THE BEST OF GOOD BIRDING!!!

Colby