Bear River Birds

Greetings -

Thursday was a great day at Bear River!  I was particularly looking for the Solitary Sandpiper and found two (or saw the same one twice).  Also of note were lots of Black-crowned Night Heron and on the east side of the auto tour loop about six Semipalmated Plovers along with some Snowy Plovers and Black Terns.  My favorite sights of the day were six Virginia Rails that were feeding right out in the open and the many juvenile Pied-billed Grebes looking so striking with their white and black face patterns.

I ran into two birders from New Hampshire who had committed the ultimate birding sin (right after forgetting your binoculars) by burying their field guide at the bottom of all their belongings in the back of the car.  They were not familiar with western birds and had taken pages of copious notes so they could identify the birds they saw when the guide surfaced.  We spent about an hour putting names to their birds and enjoying seeing some of the species through the scope.  Although they were in a bit of a time crunch, they were so enjoying Bear River that they decided to continue birding and make up for lost time by driving through the night.  Sounds familiar, doesn't it.

Pomera