Fwd: Ruffed Grouse, 8-7-03

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
 It was submitted by Julie on Friday, August 08, 2003 at 07:57:13

Subject: Ruffed Grouse, 8-7-03

Email_Address:

Message: Calleen Cox and I birded the Mirror Lake area Thursday and were surprised to see a Ruffed Grouse standing in the downhill lane of Mirror Lake road about 25 yards east/north of the Taylor's Fork campground sign. I found a safe spot to park and pulled over as quickly as I could. We got out of the car and looked at the bird and determined that it was indeed a Ruffed Grouse. Then we began to wonder if it were hurt; two vehicles passed us going toward Mirror Lake and the bird didn't flush but it did move a little. We cautiously approached, and it permitted us to get within about 10-15 feet. Then we noticed movement along the verge and there were several more grouse. It appears that we found a small family group of five birds. Then, all of a sudden, one flushed, then another and finally there was a total of five, including the sentinel who was standing in the road. Maybe he was the crossing guard.

We birded in the Washington Lake area looking for the Williamson's Sapsucker, but we only heard a chickadee and saw a junco and robin. Pretty dead. At Trial Lake area there were just common birds and few of those. The Highline Trail out of Mirror Lake was dead, too. Only a few chickadees could be heard or seen. Where did all the birds go? Have they left the high country already? Calleen, who lives in Heber, said the Mountain Bluebirds have left that area as of last week--poof, they were gone.

Well, if migration's underway, let's all get out there and see what's around and of course, post those beautiful sightings!

Good birding y'all,
Julie