Today's Notables at Bear River MBR

I spent the late afternoon and evening at Bear River MBR and enjoyed most of the bird species others have reported lately (except those Snowy Plovers--Rats!)  I also saw a few other goodies, all on the north leg of the loop--a Great Egret practicing synchronized stalking with a Great Blue Heron, five Black Terns flying over, and two Semi-palmated Plovers.

I watched a balancing act that a large group of Bank, Cliff, Barn, and Tree Swallows put on for me on the south side of the road at the bridge favored as a Cliff Swallow nesting site.  The water here is heavily lined with tall sedge and is a popular perch among the four species of swallows, especially the Bank.  The birds fluttered to an upright stalk, grasped it with both feet, and rode it down as the stem bent in an arc under the swallow's weight.  The stem would finally stop bending, and voila!  Vegetation transformation.  The swallows created horizontal perches just the right size for their tiny feet where no perches existed before.  They almost reminded me of sparrow and finch behavior when riding stalks of seed heads to the ground to forage.  Periodically something would flush all the swallows and then they'd have to go sedge-stem riding again as they settled down.  It was like a swallow amusement park ride!

I also saw a few mammals as I sped off the refuge to beat the sunset--a two point buck, a muskrat, and Pepe LePew and his siblings.

Kris