blue grouse

Hi,

Pomera posted short-eared owls, and that got me up early to go look again. I found 4 groups of burrowing owls, lots of sage thrashers, lots and lots of loggerhead shrikes, and the every day birds. I don't feel bad this time though, as I was going past Thiocol, I had to slow down to let a flock of blue grouse cross the road. It seems like a strange place, but I got a good look at the lengthwise bars on the sides of their tails as they flew after crossing the road. On the way home I went to Bear River MBR and saw lots of avocet chicks, some bn stilt chicks and one lone snowy plover.

Someone is going to have to take me by the hand and show me a short-eared owl. Earlier in the year I even did the owl dance that someone talked about this winter, but all it did was rain.     Jack