Birding In Dixie!

Greetings!

After many long years of looking for the Rufous-crowned Sparrow, Julie was finally able to add one to her Utah list.  It was a lifer for me, but since I didn't have to pay my dues on this bird I tried to feel guilty as I added him to my list.  He was near the amphitheater in Springdale.

We joined Larry Tripp for an evening trip to Lytle and although we didn't find the Elf Owl, we got some great close-up looks at the Lesser Nighthawks and Common Poorwills.  The next morning we returned to Lytle and found a family of Cactus Wrens and a couple of Scott's Orioles on the way in.  There was nothing too unusual at Lytle, but we saw lots of nice birds including a Bell's Vireo, Hooded Warbler and Ladder-backed Woodpecker.  At Pine Valley, our highlight birds were a Grace's Warbler and a low-flying Northern Goshawk.  We rounded out the day with a great look at the Summer Tanager at Red Hills.

Sunday morning took us to Southgate Golf Course where we flushed a Green Heron out of the stream and into one of the lakes.  We got a good, prolonged look at him and even got to see him skulk.  Our next stop was Washington where we got the hat trick plus one on the doves - Eurasian Collared, Inca, Mourning and White-winged.  Our last stop was Oak Grove where we again linked up with Larry.  Among other things, we saw a family of Wild Turkeys, Black-throated Gray Warblers, Western Bluebirds and Bushtits.

What could be better than birding!

Pomera

P.S.  Would be happy to provide more specific directions on any of the birds if anyone needs them.