Cutler Marsh Wetlands Maze

My family canoed Cutler Marsh Wetlands Maze in Cache Valley today.  We used the North Marsh Canoe trail.  This area offers primo marsh habitat and must look like paradise from a bird's eye view.  Looks mighty fine from a birder's perspective, too.

We paused under the bridge over the Valley View Highway (UT 30) to watch the Cliff and Barn Swallow nests just 8 feet or so over our heads.  I had the sensation that I had stuck my head into a beehive.  All waterways are thickly lined with reeds and tall sedge grass and the Marsh Wren were ubiquitous.  We frequently saw them fluttering low over reeds and clinging to cattail stems.  We also saw American White Pelican, American Coot, Western and Clark Grebe, and Mallard throughout the marsh.  Snowy Egret, Great Blue and Black-crowned Night Heron, and Sandhill Crane flew overhead or along the edges of the marsh.  I saw a couple flocks of small shorebirds coursing low over the water that I could not identify.  Franklin's Gulls beelined northeast-southwest and vice versa all afternoon.  The marsh south of Valley View highway must offer gull delecacies worth flying for.  We canoed across the reservoir to the northeast shore to the White-faced Ibis colony.  What a lot of activity!  Both the ibis and the Franklin's Gull are teeming at this place.  The gulls must still be feeding chicks, although all juveniles and ibis we saw were full-sized.  We saw many other species one would expect in this habitat.

Best birds of the day were Black Tern and Common Yellowthroat.  We saw three or four Black Terns near the ibis colony flying amongst Franklin Gulls.  The Black Tern just can't make up its mind as to the direction it wants to fly.  Two wingbeats east, turn; five wingbeats, south, turn, and so on.  The first Common Yellowthroat I heard responded to pishing and showed off his black mask.  I heard five or six more during the afternoon amongst the reeds.  I was happy to see the yellowthroat not only due to its status as a Utah Sensitive Species, but also because it brings back fond memories from childhood.  My mom gave my siblings and I a songbird puzzle we put together repeatedly.  The artist depicted the Common Yellowthroat as quite a stocky little warbler much as Sibley did on the cover of the Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavoir.  We nicknamed the yellowthroat the Fatty Bird, and it will forever hold that name for my family.

On the return trip two Forster's Terns showed great displeasure at our approach to a small reed bed.  I hoped to catch a glimpse of eggs or chicks, but no such luck.  Now I can't figure why they were nagging us so stridently.

The Wetlands Maze lived up to its name as we couldn't find the channel back to the Cutler Marsh Marina.  We spent about 2 extra hours trying to find the discretely marked channel leading back to the bridge under which we had to pass.  Seemed ridiculous because we could see where we had to go and were never lost.  Laying down a trail of crumbs wouldn't have worked in this location.

To reach the Cutler Marsh Marina, drive west on 200N (also designated UT 30 and Valley View Highway) from Main Street (91/89) in Logan.  You could also take UT 23 from the junction of 91/89 at the south end of Cache Valley north through Wellsville and Mendon.  Turn east at the intersection of UT 23 and UT 30.  Cutler Marsh Marina is on the south side of the road.  I apologize for not being able to relay mileage distances from either of the junctions I just mentioned, but the parking lot is not hard to find.  It's very open, visible from a long distance, and has both restroom facilities and a picnic pavillion at the parking lot.  It's also adjacent to the bridge over the Little Bear River.

McIvor describes the marsh in his book, Birding Utah.  Bridgerland Audubon also gives detailed info about the area at http://www.bridgerlandaudubon.org/wetlandsmaze/canoe.html, but be warned--the buoys that should mark the trails are not there and you'll have to watch quite closely for the trail markers on the edge of reed beds.  Best of luck in not becoming like laboratory rats, as we were today!

Kris