Mc Murdie Hollow

If you happen to be in the paradise area, Mc Murdie Hollow is a worthwhile diversion. Turn to the West at 8700 South in Paradise. This road goes down the bottoms, across the Little Bear River, and up Mc Murdie hollow. About two miles on this road you will come to a gravel road going North and up the hill. This is the Meridian Road. It will take you to Mt Sterling and from there you can go to the Hyrum Dam, by holding to the left, or to highway 89/91 going up Wellsville canyon, by holding to the right.

This evening My wife and I went only about one mile, over to where the oiled road turns off to the new subdivision on the hill, and birded on the way back. The light was better looking Eastward at this time of evening. Here is what we saw;

Chickadee, Eastern Kingbird, Gray Catbird, Yellow Warbler, Black-headed Grosbeak, Mourning Dove, Gold Finch, Barn Swallow, Rough-winged Swallow, Bullock's Oriole, Ring-necked Pheasant, Western Kingbird, Red-winged Blackbird, King Fisher, Killdeer, House Wren, Downey Woodpecker, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Meadow Lark, Robin, Magpie

We didn't see any hawks this evening, but usually there is Kestrel, Red-tailed Hawk, and Swainson's Hawk in the area. There is an Osprey nest upstream from the river bridge about a quarter mile in a large cottonwood tree. You need to look for this from a vantage point about 150 yards east of the bridge. There has been a family of Canada Geese on the pond just north of the road as you first go down the dugway. We didn't see them this evening either.

Great Birding!

James Lofthouse
Paradise, Cache County
Lofthouse