Cooper's Hawk incident

Here's an interesting e-mail from Oliver Nicholson:

Nesting Hawks at eBay

As several signs posted around the north entrance to Building 4 (Jewelry) indicate, the eBay campus is currently home to a pair of nesting hawks. We have consulted with a professional ornithologist who says that the birds are Cooper's hawks and that they are currently nurturing two or three recently hatched chicks.  The birds are protected by federal law.

Please exercise caution in the area near the birds because they are engaging in nest-defensive behavior, including swooping down on passers-by, and contact should be avoided. We recommend that you cover your head with a hat, umbrella, newspaper or notebook when walking in this area. According to the ornithologist, these measures will greatly reduce the risk of contact with the hawks.  We expect the hawks' defensive behavior to abate in 3 to 4 weeks when when their offspring are more mature.

Thank you.