Raft River Mtns/Common Loon/Sage Grouse

Eric Huish and I headed up to the Raft River Mountains on Friday. The Raft River Mountains are in northwest Utah in Box Elder County near the Idaho border. Anyway as we drove into the town of Clear Creek on the north side of the Raft Rivers we saw a Sage Grouse. It was great to see it. Next we went up Clear Creek Canyon, as we entered National Forest Land we saw a pair of Great Horned Owls. They gave us terrific looks. This was a beautiful canyon with a great stream. Should have dippers, but we were unsuccesful in looking for them. We saw many of the mountain species up this canyon. We then went up to the top of the mountain where there was sup-alpine fur, mountain lakes, snow and tundra. Reminded me of the Uintas almost. We then went and camped in Johnson canyon where we saw our first Common Nighthawks of the year and heard Poorwills and a possible Pygmy Owl, we also heard Great Horned Owls calling. As we woke in the morning we had a Common Poorwill flycatching right out in front of our tent. Was great to see. We then headed out to bird for the day. On the Raft River itself we saw Red-Breasted Mergansers. Was surprised to see these in June. At the town of Lynn we had a Western Wood Peewee. On Lynn Resivoir we had some great birding. We had a Common Loon, which seemed very late. Never seen on past May. Maybe they spend the summer up here. Also there Were Ring Necked Ducks paired off and Lesser Scaup. Many other ducks and waterfowl were there, and five species of shorebirds. We then proceeded to head into the Great Basin side of the Raft River mountains. Over here we saw an American Crow and a Gray Flycatcher. We birded many other spots. It seemed like it would hold out TERRIFIC birding during spirng or fall migration. It had great birding for summer. It was breathtaking scenery. I am sure we will be back soon.

KC Childs

Do you Yahoo!?