NE Utah news

I have a few things of general interest to pass on from northeastern Utah.
First, there will be an International Migratory Bird Day event at Henry's
Fork (outside of Manila UT) on May 10th.  This is a site listed in the
"Birding Utah" book, but without many details because it was still under
construction when the book was published.  It's pretty much done now and
attracts more and more birds each year as the vegetation  grows in.  The May
10 event is being hosted by the Forest Service and is targeted toward
families.  There'll be tables set up with information about water/wetlands,
bats, and birds - each with Forest Service people there to answer questions.
There will also be some spotting scopes set up at strategic points with
biologists present to answer questions and help with IDs.  It's scheduled to
run from 8am to noon, but if you want to come out and do some serious
birding I'd recommend showing up before 8am to walk the short nature trails.
Once more people start arriving I expect the birds will scatter.  Still,
it'll be a good opportunity to check out the site and see what it has to
offer.

I thought I'd pass along some first sighitngs of the year while I was at
it - over the past weekend I saw my first western kingbird and broad-tailed
hummer of 2003, plus heard Brewer's sparrows and lark sparrows singing.  I
also heard a western screech-owl hooting in the fields behind my house the
last couple nights.

good birding -
Kathy